The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can survive for several days on some surfaces. Estimates of its exact lifespan vary, but the virus can clearly remain long enough to make disinfecting frequently touched surfaces a priority. This is one of the CDC’s guidelines for protecting yourself and limiting the spread of the virus, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put together a comprehensive list of products that can do the job.
Normally, home versions of these products are generally available, but they are largely out of stock, as the epidemic has spread to the United States. As an alternative until the inventory is returned, you can make an effective homemade disinfectant from a mixture of water and bleach, which you may already have on hand. Whatever you use, it’s just as important to know how to properly use a disinfectant, which means giving the disinfectant enough time to do its job, which can last up to 10 minutes.
Clorox disinfectant wipes, like the other choices in this guide, are not necessarily better than the other options; our advice is to get one of our choices first. In a non-pandemic period, Clorox bleachless wipes are generally sold in single cans or in four packs at various retailers. These wipes can remove coronavirus from hard surfaces in your home – countertops, bathroom accessories, doorknobs, light switches, tiles, and some wood floors – but not on fabrics and other soft materials.
- Disinfecting wipes: Clorox disinfecting wipes are triple-layered to clean, disinfect, deodorize and remove allergens for 5x cleaning and leave a pleasant scent.
- All-purpose wipe: These all-purpose disposable wipes remove common allergens, germs and messes on surfaces like kitchen counters, bathroom surfaces and more.
- Multi-surface cleaner: Wipes are safe for finished wood, sealed granite and stainless steel and on non-food-contact surfaces in the home, office, classroom, pet area, dorm and locker room.
- Disposable wipes: This three-pack of 75-count canisters that easily dispenses disposable antibacterial wipes that come in three fresh, clean scents. Dispose of wipes according to manufacturer instructions.
- No bleach: Disinfect and deodorize with Clorox Disinfecting Wipes for a bleach-free, all-in-one cleaning alternative that’s safe to use on toys and more.